Monday, June 2, 2008

Tuesday morning blues.

We had our driving tests and received our UN diver's licenses yesterday (but not until after the car to be used for testing broke down and had to be repaired); now we have to just sit and wait.

We’re still waiting to go to Juba because there is no accommodation for us there at the present time, plus we don't have our mosquito netting and DEET so it would be dangerous for us to go, the mosquitoes (and Malaria) are really bad there right now because of the rainy season. Our equipment sits in Sudanese Customs here in Khartoum and we sit at the UN base, reading and watching movies. I've read one novel already and more than halfway through a second.

I plugged my USB flash drive into one of the computers at the base the other day to save some powerpoints we had seen in class and went to one of the chipheads (technical assistance) to get it scanned before downloading it onto my laptop; sure enough it had a couple of viruses on it. There are supposed to be a lot of viruses on UN computers so I have to be careful not to infect my own.

I went to the local "mall" here a couple of days ago, the Afra Mall, and it was really hot inside, there was no air conditioning. It wasn't a very big mall; there were only about 20 stores or so. One big dept. store with not much merchandise, there were large aisles between the tables and shelves. I have a slurpee at the coffee shop and it cost me $7.

Don’t have much appetite these days, probably because of the heat and the lack of variety in the food. The cafeteria on the base isn’t bad, but there is no choice and we get rice and lentil soup every day. I don’t like lentil soup that much. Even the Golden Gate restaurant which is just off the base has a limited menu; I’m in the pizza/hamburger/spaghetti cycle. The sheesh kebab was a bit tough to chew on. We’re supposed to check out a restaurant at lunch today that has more North American fare.

No comments: