Saturday, June 14, 2008

Second day on the job...

Got in to the office early today, Jas and I are sharing the container of a Canadian who is back home on leave, and it was my turn to sleep on the floor last night. Its not as bad as it seems, I slept in my sleeping bag on top or his and my air mattresses so it wasn't uncomfortable, nonetheless I woke up at 5:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. I'm thinking of this as a long, extended camping trip...if you could see the communal bathrooms we have to use you'd understand about the camping part.

I couldn't log on to Hotmail this morning so the website itself must be down or there is some technical difficulty with the UN server. It poured rain here last night, it was comforting to hear it falling on the roof of the container, it sounds like rain back home.

For those of you wondering about my Heinz baked beans for breakfast, let me explain that when I lived in Cornwall I loved to go to eat breakfast at a local eatery called Harv's Diner. Their breakfast special included eggs over easy, just the way I like them, delicious breakfast sausages (ditto), fried potatoes with onions (double ditto), two slices of whole wheat toast with strawberry jam (you're probably getting the idea by now), piping hot decaf coffee and, yes, Heinz baked beans (or some kind of baked beans, maybe they weren't Heinz, I'm not exactly a connesseur of baked beans). Enyways, when I ate my beaked beans for breakfast yesterday and Friday, I was imagining I was eating a Harv's breakfast special. Minus the eggs, sausages, toast, potatoes and jam.

1 comment:

Ray said...

Hey Wayne,

I look forward to dropping in periodically to catch up on your exploits. I took a look at Juba weather (hot but hey it was hot here also)and Google earth (looks nice next to the Nile,lots of greenery) I look forward to your photos of the geography.

Ray