Thursday, June 12, 2008

Finally! Juba!

Arrived in Juba this afternoon. Not as hot as Khartoum but more humid. As we were waiting for someone to come pick us up at the airport, a guy came out of his office (trailer) and said he had just found a foot-long snake in there! This should be fun.

I'm going to have trouble getting Internet access for a while, I borrowed this one for a minute to update my blog but I'm staying in a vacationing employee's container for the moment until I can get my own place and I don't have Internet access there. I'll get back to everyone as soon as I can. Don't know what I'm going to be doing yet either.

Heading out for dinner now. The other guys are staying in a tent. At least I have air conditioning.

Wayne

3 comments:

Still Searching said...

Great to know you made it Wayne! i just realized you responded to my question about "Arab" Sudanese and "Black" Sudanese. Thanks. I understand that both are clourwise Black but some are Balck of Arab ancestry and others are Black of the subsaharan African ancestry. so the actual "colour" is not an issue,it is more tribal feuding.

With regards to chris's comment about tolerance of Christians in Egypt being minimal, I have to disagree. Christians are very well established in Egypt. In Cairo, there are Churches everywhere you go and special dedicated schools run by nuns and priests. Egypt has its own orthodox church with its own Pope who holds a fairly high profile and powerful position. Currently, the minister of Finance is a Christian: Youssef Boutras Ghaly ( of the same very well established Ghaly family that produced Boutros Boutros Ghaley (UN secretary general) who I believe also used to be a minister). The orthodox Christian Xmas (January 7) was made an official holiday for all Egyptians in Egypt almost 10 years ago. The current opposition movement "Kefayah" that is very popular grassroots movements challenging the president is actually led by a Christian and has the Full support of the Islamic opposition groups.

Are things perfect? absolutely not but Egypt has a long history of respectful relations between Christains and Muslims and it goes well beyond "minimal tolerance".. Sorry but I just had to comment :-)!

Christopher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher said...

Not having lived in Egypt, it is possible I under estimated the degree of tolerance practiced towards the religious minorities in Egypt; my comment was based on information I have read on the U.S. Copt Community website:

http://copts.com/english1/index.php/coptic-demands/

http://copts.com/english1/index.php/mission-statment/