Saturday, October 11, 2008

Co-locating with the South Sudan Police






My new job involves co-locating with the South Sudan Police Service, in other words going to one of their police stations, checking up the people under detention, asking about the recent serious cases reported to them, going on patrol with them etc. We are accompanied by a language assistant (interpreter in other words) who in this case is wearing an Ottawa Lynx golf shirt that he says he bought in the market here in Juba. What a small world, huh?
The cells are primitive so on hot days like this one, the female prisoners are let out to sit in the shade and cool down. It isn't unusual to have nursing mothers and mothers with young children in the cells; there are no social service agencies here to take custody of the children. This young lady is the daughter of one of the female detainees, she came wandering over to have a better look at my partner, Mohammad, a Jordanian police officer and myself, and took a real liking to my id card. Isn't she cute? My god, I could bring a planeload of them home with me.

No comments: