Monday, October 6, 2008

Another teaching gig...and I've changed jobs again




Beleive it or not, before I left my last job here in Juba as an advisor on Criminal Investigation and Intelligence to the South Sudan Police Service, I was asked to do another training lecture for them, on Ethics, Code of Conduct and Discipline (if you remember my disatorous first lecture to the SSPS, nobody in the class spoke English and my interpreter didn't show up).
Enyways, with the able assistance of an able Egyptian police officer, Mohammad Hamad who did simultaneous translation for me (and added a bit of editorical comment of his own), we stretched a 45 minute class out to an hour and a half and were asked to give them even more but we ran out of time. It was a great expereince, I liked the SSPS officers a lot (even the one that fell asleep), they liked my message, that I was not there to tell them how to run their police service but this how many of our countries in the UN run ours and this is how we deal with specific problems of misconduct, neglect of duty, poor performance etc. My thanks to Mohammad for making it a useful exercise for us all.


I've included a photo of happier times, back in August when I was Chief of Administration here in Juba (and before I went on my London holiday), and was facilitating a meeting of our Team Site Leaders and Sector Commanders. I'm having a good laugh at something or other here, and my good buddy Resistant is beside me. He's in a Khartoum Hospital right now with a leg infection (and PTSD as far as I'm concerned).

I've been moved again, to Juba Team Site and I'll be working shifts, co-locating with SSPS officers at their police stations. Its a long story, one I don't intend to detail in the blog here, I'll have to tell you about this one in person. Its been a tough two weeks, I haven't been getting much sleep lately.

No comments: