Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Time to say goodbye to the other contigent members














So after some dinners with the other Canadians in Juba, the Military Observers and civilian staff, and a last breakfast after the going away party, and a surprise visit from Charles who was supposed to proceed directly to Khartoum from Wau but instead showed up at my container door on the morning the rest were to leave for Khartoum (that was like having a wish come true for me, all five of us remaining Canadian UNPOLs together for one last time), we gathered at the Movement Control (Movcon) building to say goodbye before they boarded their plane. I wished I was going with them.

They were a good group, they did a really good job in their positions and all were thought of very highly by their co-workers, bosses and everyone who knew them. They caused me minimal grief as the contingent commander. I often said I wished I had two Canadian UNPOLs for every Team Site and Headquarters unit in Sudan, everybody wanted one for their section. We were accepted and respected by all the other contingents and most importantly, by the South Sudan Police Service.

It was a depressing time for me as the rest of the contingent left. I felt alone for the first time in the mission, even though I had lots of friends from Juba around me. There was much comfort for me knowing that there were the other contingent members in mission and only a phone call or a flight away.

No comments: