Sunday, April 5, 2009

Goodbye to Jas
















Once we moved into February, the rest of the Canadian Police contingent started preparing to go home on Feb. 18th (I didn't because I had been extended till March 4th to meet and orient the new group of Canadian police originally scheduled to arrive on Feb. 21st). Among other things, this meant saying goodbye to Jas, the other RCMP officer who was posted to Juba with me.

I should have said this more often but I enjoyed having him there with me; we ate many meals together, went to lots of parties together and generally kept an eye on each other and each other's containers. I knew I could always count on Jas, no matter what.

So, a couple of photos of Jas doing what he does best, sitting and standing around doing nothing (just kidding, he worked hard and was one of the few UNPOLs who worked shifts: days, evenings and nights, and did that for most of his tour. Keep in mind that we worked every day when we were in Mission, so he never got a day off after any of those shifts!).
The I've got photos from the February going away party (we started having so many going away parties for people at the end of their mission that the UN Police in Juba took to having one a month for everybody leaving that month). Enyways, there's the acting Deputy Police Commissioner and a good friend of the Canadian Police contingent, Tony Rosa of the US giving Jas a certificate in recognition of his work as the 2 i/c of Regional Operations, and me congratulating Jas, and one of me saying a few words about Jas and the good work he did, and yes, how much I enjoyed having him in Juba with me. I wish I told him more.

No comments: