Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One last task to perform





Before I left for Khartoum to checkout, I had one more task to complete. I lectured to the Senior officers of the South Sudan Police Service about strategic planning. Specifically, we talked about the upcoming elections in Sudan and the role the SSPS may have to play in protecting the candidates, election officials, polling stations, the voters, ballots and ballot boxes etc. etc.
My talk was well received by the class. I think we as Canadian Police Officers can be very influential with this fledging police service. Canadians are held in high esteem in Sudan, probably because many Sudanese people have immigrated to Canada and told their family and friends good things about our country and our people. And our policing services are very community- and people-oriented.
Of all the tasks I did while I worked in Sudan, I enjoyed presenting to training classes the best. I liked the direct interaction with the South Sudan police officers and felt like I was giving them the benefit of my 30 years (gasp) in policing, in many different roles and situation, problems and solutions etc.

No comments: